Oh, what a week it's been. We've been so lucky with the weather, sunny days everyday. That's unheard of around these parts where January is usually a month of cold snaps and frequent rain. "We've really had a summer this year," says Karen from Mazagran as she weighs and grinds beans for me. She's right, we really truly have.
This weekend L and I made hay while the sun shined! Well, not really, but we did help a friend of L's move and stack some bales, which involved an adrenaline-inducing ride over bumpy farm land on a ute piled high with hay bales. I finally got a tour of T and L's beautiful future abode. L and I stood at the Mapoutahi pa site and looked out over the cliffs to the deep green ocean. On the way home, we stopped at Merrell's for raw milk, yoghurt and his homemade mango lassi, not knowing that T did the same on his way home. I think we will be making another batch of haloumi this week..
1. New onions, garlic and fresh ginger - the beginning of a dal.
2. Coagulating milk to make haloumi and ricotta.
3. Homemade haloumi, sourdough toast, tomatoes and mint: pretty delicious lunch.
4. Boysenberries and chocolate ice cream - a sundae in a tea cup.
5. Part of the homemade card printing process
8. An opshop mission yielded a work top, and magazines from the 80's as a gift to a friend M who had an epic 80's party on Saturday night, involving the limbo, dance-offs, multiple leotards and pretty outrageous hair. This was one of the ads from a 1983 woman's weekly. Times change!
Linking to Em's stills collection.
today I'm grateful for osbourne and the mapoutahi pa site - beautiful, hidden places that I've just discovered. I'm grateful to live in a city I'm still discovering, seven years after moving here ..
Let's just pretend for a minute it isn't already February - here is January's playlist.
1. xavier rudd - follow the sun
2. the new pornographers - the bleeding heart show
3. the white buffalo - 10 til 2
4. macklemore & ryan lewis - make the money
5. au revoir simone - another likely story
6. iron & wine - teeth in the grass
7. the unicorns - I was born (a unicorn)
8. the xx - heart skipped a beat
9. edward sharpe & the magnetic zeros - I come in please
10. amadou & mariam - welcome to mali
11. santigold - creator
12. neil young - harvest
13. dudley benson - the awakening
14. ben howard - old pine
15. of monsters & men - your bones
16. the national - racing like a pro
17. dub fx - love someone
18. crystal castles - not in love
19. the tallest man on earth - burden of tomorrow
20. the shins - kissing the lipless
21. rufus wainwright - complainte de la butte*
22. elle graham - alba's lullaby
23. paul simon - graceland*
*in preparation of (fingers crossed) seeing them live in April!